Windows Defender (02/10/18)
Computers Plus is now recommending the use of Microsoft Windows Defender Anti-virus in conjunction with Windows 10, version 1709 (the most current version). Defender is part of Windows and is dormant if another anti-virus is installed. So, if you currently use another antivirus product, but decide to use Defender, that other anti-virus product must be completely uninstalled and then the PC must be re-booted before activating Defender. Defender does not automatically place an icon on the desktop or the taskbar when it is activated. Defender will routinely run “quick” scans of your PC without any overt action by the user. However, it is recommended that on a regular basis (every 2-3 weeks) a full scan be run. The easiest way to do this, in my opinion, is to launch Defender using an icon. You would then select “full scan” from the brief list of scanning options. Below you will find instructions to place a Defender icon on the desktop and/or the taskbar.
Please Note: If you use Malwarebytes Premium, under the “Settings” tab on the Malwarebytes home page you must go to “Application”, scroll down to “Windows Action Center” and select the radio button for “Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center”. This action will prevent Windows from “thinking” that Malwarebytes is your A/V rather than Defender.
Create a Windows Defender Anti-Virus Desktop Icon:
(Note: “Click” requires a left mouse button click and “Right Click” requires a right mouse button click)
1. On the desktop right click and select the “New” option. Select the second item from the top of the pop up, it is labeled “Shortcut”.
2. A pop up will appear asking that you enter the location of item you want a short cut for.
3. Enter the following by either keying it in or copying and pasting (I suggest copy & paste):
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
4. In the lower right of the pop up box click “Next”.
5. In the next pop up you will be asked to name the shortcut.
6. Delete the name that appears in the name box and enter the following: “MS Windows Defender A/V” in the name box.
7. In the lower right hand corner of the popup click “Finish”.
8. Your new icon should appear on your desktop and you can move to where ever you like on the desktop.
Put a Quick Launch Icon for Windows Defender Anti-Virus on the Task Bar:
a. Once a Defender Desktop Icon has been created and resides on the Desktop.
b. Highlight the Defender icon, and right click.
c. A pop up box will appear.
d. Move your pointer to about half way down the list of options and highlight the line item labeled:
“Pin to taskbar” and click.
e. You should now see a Defender icon on the taskbar.
Method 2. (Assumes the use of Classic Start)
a. Click the start button and in the search box that appears enter the word “Defender”.
b. In the pop up that appears to the right find the line item marked “Windows Defender” and mouse over “Windows Defender”.
c. Right Click and mouse over the line item marked “Pin to taskbar” and click.
d. A Defender icon will appear on the taskbar.